Dental caries is a process during which carbohydrates are fermented by oral bacteria on the tooth , resulting in acid production and enamel dissolution which ultimately leads to decay.
THE STAGES OF TOOTH DECAY
- Decay in enamel
- Advanced decay
- Decay in dentin
- Decay in pulp
WHAT IS THE CAUSE ?
** Mostly due to frequent dietary sugar intake **
There are 2 types of sugars in our diet : Naturally occuring sugars & added sugars. Naturally occuring sugars are found in milk, whole fruits and honey. Added sugars refers to sugars and syrups added to foods during processing or preparation (e.g. energy drinks, breakfast cereal, bake goods)
It is important to note that added sugar does not serve any physiological purposes to our bodies. The less you consume, the healthier you will be and the healthier your teeth will be.
Sugar is cariogenic (which means that they can cause tooth decay), and an increase in quantity , frequency and duration of exposure leaves you at a higher caries risk
WAYS TO REDUCE SUGAR INTAKE
- Obtain carbohydrates from whole grains , legumes , intact fruits and vegetables instead of fruit juices , energy snacks bars and sweetened chocolates.
- Choose plain water.
- Reduce consumption of sweetened beverages & delight such as carbonated drinks, “ air sirap “ , “ teh tarik “ , “ cendol “ , “ ais kacang “.
- When ordering drinks, request for less sugar or less sweetened condensed milk.
GOOD HABITS THAT CAN REDUCE CARIES RISK
- Use a straw when consuming sugar sweetened beverages.
- Brush teeth with flouridated toothpaste 20 minutes after consuming sugar-beverages & foods
- Rinse mouth with water immediately after consuming sugar-sweetened & foods
- Chew sugar-free gum (xylitol gum ) to stimulate higher salivary flow
**Credit : Teeth Talk Magazine**
Looking for dentist near you? Are you staying around Shah Alam area or Kepong? Well, look no further!!
Book your appointment with us today :
1st DENTAL CLINIC, BUKIT JELUTONG
2-1-01 D’Vida Jalan Bazar U8/101
Bukit Jelutong, 40150 Shah Alam,
0378596757 / 01161114972 / 01136676089
1st DENTAL CLINIC, TAMAN EHSAN, KEPONG
No 2423-1, Jalan E3 6, Taman Ehsan
52100 Kuala Lumpur
0362748710 / 0122955857
Follow us on our social media and stay tuned for our monthly promotion and other awesome news!!
Website : www.1stdentalclinic.com
Instagram : 1stdentalclinic
Twitter : @1stdentalclinicFacebook Page : Klinik Pergigian 1st Dental Taman Ehsan